On April 10, 2019, the Calgary Marketing Association presented a Facebook Live hosting Sherida German, VP, Marketing and Brand at Edelman, as she summarized this year’s key findings of Edelman’s 2019 Trust Barometer.
If you aren’t familiar with the Edelman Trust Barometer, for almost 20 years this report has detected and documented some of the largest opinion shifts shaping the planet. Edelman deep dives into the state and dynamics of trust in institutions that in turn predicts larger societal, economic and political changes to come.
This 2019 trust barometer “…reveals that trust has changed profoundly in the past year—people have shifted their trust to the relationships within their control, most notably their employers. Globally, 75 percent of people trust “my employer” to do what is right, significantly more than NGOs (57%), business (56%) and media (47%).”¹
This is the tip of the iceberg of vital information that this report reveals. So, what are the biggest takeaways for marketing and marketing related companies, and marketing departments within a company? Thanks to Sherida’s expertise, we know they are as follows:
- Canadians continue to look to traditional media for credible, reliable information with search engines a close second. So, while there continues to be significant opportunities to engage your audience through traditional media, you should also be using your company’ own search optimized website.
- Social media is the least trusted source for information as a result of concerns of data privacy and fake news.
- As a company, be aligned in actions and in words, as that’s when your brand comes alive.
- Within your organization, have all your key stakeholders at the table so that all consumer-facing messages are aligned – that way your messaging is consistent and rings true and is perceived as trustworthy.
- Building a genuine belief system based on trust throughout your company requires commitment throughout your company.
If you missed the Facebook Live, fear not, you can watch it below
About the Author
Jan Wood is Vice President of the Calgary Marketing Association and heads up Events and Sponsorship. With over 20 years in the marketing profession both in Canada and Internationally and primarily in product development, Jan offers consulting in the education, health and oil & gas sectors, and is always looking for a cheap flight to somewhere fascinating!