Marketing and communications professional
Well-rounded senior level communications professional
Have worked with every communications channel (print, digital, film, radio, television) and understand all sides of the industry having worked as both a journalist and as a marketer with business, government agencies and NGOs. I have been the audience, and I have been the advocate
Public relations proficiencies
Experience in brand management, media relations, re-branding, stakeholder and community engagement, Indigenous relations, government relations and crisis communications
Extensive experience with team building and leadership
I have been charged with directing, inspiring, and motivating incredibly diverse teams including a group of oil company executives from competing oil and gas companies, as well as culturally diverse teams of community builders working to resettle middle eastern refugees
Areas of expertise
Generating creative ideas and developing plans to execute communications strategies
Content creation (digital and otherwise)
Marketing campaign coordination
Media and government relations
Public speaking/speech writing
Research and interviewing
Stakeholder, investor, community and Indigenous relations
Fundraising and special event management
Technical skills as a photographer and videographer
Experience with several different CMS platforms including WordPress as well as Adobe products, SharePoint, PowerPoint and Excel
Enrolled in a digital marketing certificate program at the University of Calgary as well as Cousera programs to expand my expertise in content creation and SEO
Professional member of the International Association of Business Communicators and Calgary Marketing Association currently engaged in the process to complete my certification as a Communication Management Professional
Key Skills Discovered During My Professional Journey
• Strong skills as a communicator and marketer in both the print and digital realm and have built my career on engaging audiences, volunteers and both internal and external stakeholders
• Skilled in developing creative marketing strategies and content producing online content (website, social media, blogs), annual reports, e-blasts, speeches, media-ready copy, videos and short films
• In both the business world and in my role with NGOs, I have fostered and developed many successful, long-term professional relationships and partnerships with and between major media outlets, government agencies and both local and international NGOs and have been responsible for helping lead multi-million-dollar fundraising projects
• Extensive experience organizing events and campaigns for fundraising including stewarding donors, directing videos, public speaking, leading teams and conducting media interviews
▪ Calgary Herald, Edmonton Journal and PostMedia, May 1997 to present, writer, editor and columnist
I contributed between 30 and 75 stories each year with a focus on research-driven reports on business, energy, economic development, tourism, health and education. In 1996, I became one of the first students from a two-year post-secondary program to be granted an internship in decades. I was also one of the first workers to telecommute regularly and successfully did so for more than 20 years. I wrote a regular humour column (Calgary Herald) and business column (National Post) for several years. I was responsible for annual reports on entrepreneurship, education and workplace trends and tourism. I worked closely with about a dozen different editors across the country, but primarily in Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Ottawa and Vancouver.
▪ Independent communications consultant and project manager, September 1997 to present
Over the years I have undertaken large-scale, long- and short-term projects with organizations such
as The National Gallery of Canada, McMaster University, the Association of Fundraising
Professionals, Alberta Economic Development, Calgary Economic Development, Calgary
Airport Authority, the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta and many others. I helped development multi-channel marketing campaigns and strategies, generated content, supervised production and liaised with clients and stakeholders.
▪ Independent contractor and freelancer, September 1997 to present
I have been engaged as a contractor, often with multi-year contracts, with employers such as Syncrude Canada, the Oil Sands Developers Group, Chevron Canada and small businesses. I also took on ongoing freelance projects with companies and organizations such as Enbridge, Cenovus, the Canadian Energy Pipeline Association and Trades Alberta. Typically, my role was as a communications consultant providing marketing recommendations and overseeing the execution of the projects.
▪ I spent several years working as a staff member in community relations and case management with NGOs such as the New Canadian Friendship Centre (primarily supporting immigrant women), Seniors Secret Service (assisting isolated seniors), Samaritan’s Purse emergency response and community development (both nationally and internationally in Asia), and Next Step, which is an organization that assists women in Calgary engaged in prostitution who are seeking to rebuild their lives and careers.
▪ RedPoint Media Group Inc., April 2014 to August 2017
I took on freelance projects with RedPoint media as a copywriter contributing to publications such as the Building Owners and Managers Association guide and Saskatchewan Polytechnic magazine.
▪ Venture Publishing January 2002 to June 2015, freelance writer and columnist
I contributed dozens of feature stories to Venture Publishing, and did two year-long stints as columnist focusing on women in leadership and innovation in small business.
▪ National Post and Financial Post, September 1998 to 2010, writer and columnist
I was a telecommunications and technology columnist, transportation industry reporter and opinion writer for the Financial Post before it became the National Post.
2020 Digital Marketing certificate program (enrolled), University of Calgary
2012 International Community Development Certificate, Mount Royal University
1997 Journalism Arts diploma (Two-year), Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
1993/94 General Studies, University of Saskatchewan
1992/93 General Studies, Okanagan University College
New Canadian Friendship Centre, volunteer English teacher
International Cooking Club and Network, founder and president
The Olive Tree, soup kitchen supervisor
I also currently volunteer for several fair trade and anti-slavery organizations and sit on several committees at my children’s school.
Memberships and Professional Development
Professional member of the International Association of Business Communicators with plans to sit for the for Communications Management Professional certification exam this spring
Member of the Calgary Marketing Association
I recently participated in a 16-hour social media marketing and grant writing workshop, and I participated in a sustainable agriculture conference in the Philippines. I am enrolled in a Coursera program on SEO
- communications strategist
- community engagement
- government and stakeholder relations
- Indigenous relations
- media relations
- Public Speaking
- short film and video production
- Traditional and digital marketing